A new factory was built in 1853-54 at 791 Tremont Street in Boston. Jonas Chickering made several major contributions to the development of piano technology, most notably by introducing a one-piece, cast-iron plate to support the greater string tension of larger grand pianos.From 1860-1868 space in the building was the location of the Spencer Repeating Rifle Company, who made over 100,000 rifles and carbines for the U. Chickering was the largest piano manufacturer in the United States in the middle of the 19th century, but was surpassed in the 1860s by Steinway.
Jonas Chickering also invented a new deflection of the strings and in 1845 the first convenient method for over stringing in square pianos.
Instead of setting the strings side by side, the company introduced substituting an arrangement of the string in two banks, one over the other.
His profound interest was in the Chickering piano, to which he dashed for such careful examination that he nearly had to be hauled away so the concert could begin.
On December 1, 1852, a massive fire destroyed Chickering's piano factory located at 336 Washington Street in Boston. The walls of the building collapsed, and set adjoining structures on fire.
Baldwin's Chickering line discontinued in the USA in 2008.
Chickering & Sons was an American piano manufacturer located in Boston, Massachusetts, known for producing award-winning instruments of superb quality and design. Barnum who persuaded Jenny Lind - the Swedish Nightingale - to make a concert tour of the United States.
However, their partnership was dissolved four years later.
In 1830, Chickering became partner with John Mackay under the name Chickering and Company and later changed to Chickering and Mackays until the death of senior Mackay in 1841.
Along with Samick, Baldwin also manufactured Chickering grand pianos from 1994 to 2001.
In 2002, Baldwin was purchased by the Gibson musical instrument company.
By 1830 Jonas Chickering became partners with John Mackay, manufacturing pianos as Chickering & Company, and later Chickering & Mackay until 1841. of New York, and later this merged into the Aeolian-American piano company in 1932.